Saturday, November 29, 2025
11 F
State of Wyoming

East L.A. Man Sentenced to 150 Years to Life for Triple Murder Spanning Four Years

On August 22, 2025, Anthony Velasquez, 35, was sentenced to 150 years to life in prison for the murders of three people in East Los Angeles. A jury convicted him earlier in the week on three counts of first-degree murder for the killings of Jesse Avalos, 34, Eduardo Robles, 38, and Amanda Nicole Lopez, 27. During sentencing, family members of the victims confronted Velasquez, describing him as a “certified homicidal serial killer” who showed no remorse. Velasquez has continued to claim innocence, and his defense attorney has already filed an appeal.

Victims Killed Within Two Miles of Each Other

Prosecutors said Velasquez carried out the shootings between 2014 and 2018, targeting victims who lived near him in East Los Angeles. They alleged he killed the three because he felt “disrespected” by them. Investigators later determined that the same firearm was used in at least two of the shootings, helping link Velasquez to the crimes. Each murder took place within a two-mile radius, heightening community fears of a serial killer operating in the neighborhood.

The Killing of Jesse Avalos

The first victim, Jesse Avalos, was shot on February 10, 2014. According to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Office, Avalos had been helping a friend jumpstart a vehicle near Telegraph Road and Arizona Avenue around 11 p.m. Hours later, deputies found him slumped in the driver’s seat of his SUV, shot multiple times. His killing stunned the community and remained unsolved for years.

Eduardo Robles Fatally Shot After Dispute

On July 6, 2015, Eduardo Robles was killed just blocks away from where Avalos had been found. Authorities said Robles was shot several times in the upper torso after an argument broke out in a driveway on Eagle Street. Witnesses reported seeing the confrontation escalate quickly before gunfire erupted. Like Avalos’s death, Robles’s murder went unsolved for years until ballistics linked the shootings together.

Amanda Lopez Killed in Homeless Encampment

The third victim, Amanda Nicole Lopez, was murdered on April 22, 2018. She had been sleeping in a tent near a homeless encampment when Velasquez allegedly shot her multiple times in the torso. Family members said Lopez had struggled with housing instability but was deeply loved. Her mother spoke directly to Velasquez in court, calling him “heartless” and vowing her daughter would never be forgotten.

Break in the Case and Arrest

In 2021, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department announced an $80,000 reward for information about the killings, noting that witnesses had been present at each crime scene. Ballistics evidence eventually connected the murders, leading investigators to Velasquez. He was arrested in September 2021 and charged with all three murders. Despite the convictions, Velasquez has continued to deny responsibility, insisting he was wrongfully accused.

Hot this week

Former Boxing Champion Julio César Chávez Jr. Detained in Mexico for Alleged Cartel Ties

Julio César Chávez Jr. detained in Mexico after U.S. deportation for alleged Sinaloa Cartel ties, arms, and drug trafficking.

LAPD Cracks Down on Burglary Crew Behind Nearly 100 Break-Ins

LAPD cracks down on burglary crew linked to nearly 100 break-ins.

Man Arrested After Claiming to Have Bomb at Dallas ICE Facility

Man arrested after claiming to have a bomb at Dallas ICE facility.

Virginia Giuffre’s Posthumous Memoir Set for October Release

Virginia Giuffre’s posthumous memoir, *Nobody's Girl*, detailing her Epstein ordeal, set for Oct 21 release by Knopf.

Kilmar Abrego Garcia Seeks Dismissal of Charges, Alleging Trump Administration’s Vindictive Prosecution

Kilmar Abrego Garcia seeks dismissal of smuggling charges, alleging Trump admin’s “vindictive” prosecution for fighting wrongful deportation.

Topics

Former Boxing Champion Julio César Chávez Jr. Detained in Mexico for Alleged Cartel Ties

Julio César Chávez Jr. detained in Mexico after U.S. deportation for alleged Sinaloa Cartel ties, arms, and drug trafficking.

LAPD Cracks Down on Burglary Crew Behind Nearly 100 Break-Ins

LAPD cracks down on burglary crew linked to nearly 100 break-ins.

Man Arrested After Claiming to Have Bomb at Dallas ICE Facility

Man arrested after claiming to have a bomb at Dallas ICE facility.

Virginia Giuffre’s Posthumous Memoir Set for October Release

Virginia Giuffre’s posthumous memoir, *Nobody's Girl*, detailing her Epstein ordeal, set for Oct 21 release by Knopf.

Kilmar Abrego Garcia Seeks Dismissal of Charges, Alleging Trump Administration’s Vindictive Prosecution

Kilmar Abrego Garcia seeks dismissal of smuggling charges, alleging Trump admin’s “vindictive” prosecution for fighting wrongful deportation.

Virginia Man Accused in Double Murder Plot Involving Sex-Fetish Site

Virginia man Brendan Banfield accused of luring victim via sex-fetish site, killing wife and man in staged murder plot.

A Deadly Ambush: Nine Teens Arrested in the Murder of Trey Dean Wright

Teen lured to death by girlfriend; 9 arrested in SC murder case.

Minneapolis Church Shooting Suspect’s Disturbing Online Content Probed

Minneapolis church shooting kills 2 kids, injures 17; suspect’s videos show mass shooter obsession, hate slurs. Motive unclear.

Related Articles

Popular Categories